Layout/Colors/Readability

Home Forum General Technical Help Suggestion Section Layout/Colors/Readability

This topic contains 22 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  YTT Admin 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Keziah Mason
    Participant
      • Topics Created: 2
      • Replies Created: 111
      • Total Created: 113
      • Super Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…

I’ll start by saying that I truly mean not to be bitchy or whiny – rather I’d like to know if also others have any issue with reading, or it’s only my eyesight that has to adjust itself to the graphics πŸ™

The overall aesthetics meets my taste. I like the hue of pink as theme color and also the “clean” look without too much stuff cramped in a small space.
    I personally have some issue when reading from the pc screen; it’s like there’s too much white space which, coupled with the thin font, makes reading a bit tiring after a while.
    In the threads, all the uniform stark white also makes reading slightly difficult – since often posts are not so long, there’s lot of empty space left and I find that all the posts tend to “merge” and aren’t easily discernible.
    Personally, I think that just having a thicker font and/or an alternate background color in the posts list (or anything that can allow the eyes to not have so much pure white as reading background) would already make things fine.
    But I’m not a website designer, so I’d like to hear if more competent people have other and better suggestions.

tahjaymahai
    Keymaster
      • Topics Created: 13
      • Replies Created: 789
      • Total Created: 802
      • Ultimate Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

hey! thanks for the constructive criticism! we are working now on making the background colors in the forum different so there isnt so much white space, and so there are definitive areas and it isnt so “open”. we are also going to make the font thicker and just clean every thing up so it is more easy to read and more functional for users.

we do appreciate the constructive criticism as it helps us make the site better and more appealing for the users, which is essentially what the site is here for! so we will be changing and updating the site through the night and hopefully it comes together and makes it easier for our users!

Keziah Mason
    Participant
      • Replies Created: 111
      • Total Created: 113
      • Super Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…

I’m sure it will be gorgeous, I liked the aesthetics from the very beginning and I noticed the “too much white” thing just after some reading… I was slightly afraid to say it, didn’t want to appear as the one whining just for the sake of it, plus I was not sure if maybe was only a problem of my sensitive eyeballs 8)
    Keep up the great work!

suchfun
    Participant
      • Replies Created: 32
      • Total Created: 34
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

Hey Thaj,

As I’ve said before, I’m loving YTT. I just have a quick question since our kween’s topic moves really fast. Can we have pages inside the topic or just the scroll down option to read all of the posts? I just think that when we have pages it’s easier to know where we left.
    Did I make sense? πŸ™‚

tahjaymahai
    Keymaster
      • Ultimate Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

yes, definitely one of the next things on the list to fix. its been annoying the hell out of me too but theres some weird glitch in the coding between the post pages and the number of topics per forum, so we have to figure that out but we are gonna work on that today.

suchfun
    Participant
      • Replies Created: 32
      • Total Created: 34
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

Thanks tahj! πŸ™‚

Kerplunk
    Participant
      • Topics Created: 0
      • Replies Created: 45
      • Total Created: 45
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

Hey Taj, just in reference to Keziah’s initial post…

If it’s possible, in the future after you get people’s important issues addressed and get the site all polished, maybe you could see if WordPress lets you offer users a selection of color themes? It’s not a big deal at all, but sometimes I like having the option of switching to more calming colors or a night theme. Now, I’m not saying black & white isn’t calming! πŸ™‚ I like cleaner looking sites. I do think less is more and more refined, but I also know that it can be harder to balance just right.

You guys take your time and thanks for being open to everyone’s suggestions and fixing glaring problems so quickly. I suppose I was thinking something like a night theme might temporarily solve a “white space” issue if all the white becomes too stark and tiring on the eyes. I don’t code though so I don’t know if adding an alternate color theme as a stopgap measure is simply more troublesome and time consuming than just addressing the white space levels.

Just typing as I’m thinking…so please forgive the jumping around. πŸ™‚

Mal
    Participant
      • Replies Created: 104
      • Total Created: 104
      • Super Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…

Hey Thaj,

As I’ve said before, I’m loving YTT. I just have a quick question since our kween’s topic moves really fast. Can we have pages inside the topic or just the scroll down option to read all of the posts? I just think that when we have pages it’s easier to know where we left.
    Did I make sense? :)

I want to add just a small suggestion to this since I’m not sure if this is what was meant by “scroll down option.” If possible, I’d love the option to have a small button next to each topic that you can hit that takes you to the first unread post (i.e. where you left off). Pages would help with that aspect but, to me, the “last unread post” button makes more sense.

Thanks for your hard work!

tahjaymahai
    Keymaster
      • Ultimate Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

i will look into that! thanks for the suggestion!

SpanishPink
    Participant
      • Replies Created: 1
      • Total Created: 1
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

I think that the spacing between the posts is too wide.
    I also wish we could have some of the old emoticons back, the up vote button and a blogger section as well.

I think the site looks really beautiful, though, so thanks Tahj!

brandon
    Participant
      • Topics Created: 11
      • Replies Created: 40
      • Total Created: 51
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

I agree with everything said here. A font change might be necessary, and maybe tone the white down a bit by enabling transparency and doing a pastel colored background under the transparent white. Also a definition of space would be nice. I like the open feel, but it kinda feels too open.

tahjaymahai
    Keymaster
      • Ultimate Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

we are currently working on making it more definitive in photoshop by applying more lines, making it more obvious where new posts are. basically making it look more like a basic forum. we are fixing the white issue also, and are going to change the post background colors also so there isnt so much white.

Anna
    Participant
      • Replies Created: 30
      • Total Created: 30
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

Love, love, love the clean design! It’s so fresh and modern! Thank you so much for all the effort and troubles, you have gone through in the past weeks, they certainly paid off πŸ™‚

One thing, that I do miss, is being able to have blank lines between paragraphs. When I leave blank lines between paragraphs they disappear in the posted text and it’s all one long novel that will probably only trigger “tl;dr” responses.

brandon
    Participant
      • Topics Created: 11
      • Replies Created: 40
      • Total Created: 51
      • Trash Talker
      • β˜…

Love, love, love the clean design! It’s so fresh and modern! Thank you so much for all the effort and troubles, you have gone through in the past weeks, they certainly paid off :-)

One thing, that I do miss, is being able to have blank lines between paragraphs. When I leave blank lines between paragraphs they disappear in the posted text and it’s all one long novel that will probably only trigger β€œtl;dr” responses.

This!! Also, is it possible to switch the coding from HTML to BB Code for rich text? (bold, link etc). I think BB is more user friendly than HTML.

tahjaymahai
    Keymaster
      • Ultimate Trash Talker
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…

yes we are DEFINITELY going to look into switching to bb code, it is much more user friendly. i agree!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.